Thursday, March 22, 2007

Free Post: Musicals Galore


During the spring break, we were asked by our English teacher to write two free posts, meaning writing about pretty much anything. I decided to write about a musical that was introduced to me by a friend who is also a lover of musicals.

Mamma Mia! is a great, rock musical for anyone who loves to jump up and dance. It is the story of Sophie who is getting married to Sky very soon and wants her father to give her away at her wedding. The only trouble is she doesn't know who her father is. However, from reading her mother Donna's diary, she finds out there are three possible men that could be her dad: Harry Bright, Sam Carmichael, and Bill Austen. Donna is ever so surprised to see them all there. All three of them became convince they were invited because they were Sophie's father. As the musical progresses, all three men are given a chance to speak to Donna and reminisce about their time together. A particular man stood out to Donna, as he could have been the love of her life: Sam. In the end, Sophie settles on having three dads and that she is not ready for the huge responsibility of marriage. However, a wedding does take place: it is between Sam and Donna. After the wedding, Sky and Sophie leave in search of their bright future.

An important theme that stands out to me in this musical is the bond between a mother and a daughter. One particular song summed up the joy, melancholy, and sadness of that feeling a mother has when the time comes for her daughter to get married: Slipping Through My Fingers. It is a beautiful melody enhanced by the lyrics that go with each beat that is played. When the time comes for me to get married, I hope all the feelings this song portrayed helps me to let go of my mother and start a new life.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I decided to write about a musical that was introduced to me by a friend who is also a lover of musicals.

:D I've been mentioned! Now I'm off to sign autographs and all that, since I'm famous... When I'm on the Oscars I'll remember you, darling, one of the little people...

XD Sorry I just had root beer, it's going to my head.

Anyways... yay for Mama Mia! ^^ I need to listen to that again. But not now, because my dad hates it. *sigh* He pretty much hates all musicals. He is a sad, sad person. Oh well. See you tomorrow! ^^