Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Musical Addiction


In English class, we were asked to post an introduction of ourselves, either a typical introduction or a short story. I decided to make mine well, unique. Although it's not your common "Hi, my name is...", it is so prominent in my life that it defines who I am and probably what I will be: Kathryn.

I believe music is magical. The sounds of a violin whispering a sweet melody, and the intensity of a drum as the player strikes its stretched covering. Music is an unparalleled language to all the rest because it is universal, understandable to almost anyone who takes the time to close their eyes and open their ears.

My passion for music has been with me ever since I was born. I guess you could say it's in my blood. My mother used to sing all the songs she could remember to me as a baby to silence my shrieks and wails. Besides being a part-time singer, my mother also plays the flute, an instrument I picked up in the summer of fourth grade. To be honest with you, I wasn't entirely all for learning how to play at the time, I just liked to sit back, relax, and listen to the silver-polished cylinder that sang as much as it gleamed. The more I learned, the more I enjoyed it. Now, after playing for about four years, I practice every day for one hour. If I am unable to practice, I feel the stress of the school day weighing on me like an anchor on a withered leaf. This is the one addiction that has shaped who I am, making me a better person every time I improve. I intend to continue my practice and passion for this peculiar addiction.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Hi Kathryn! It's Nat (like you can't tell from the picture). I liked your introduction very much. :) Music, band, playing... you already know I can identify with that. Maybe a bit too much. >.> Anyways... I think I'll comment on all of your posts as they go up. I'll be like your own personal stalker. :D Can I link you to my blog?